How to Apply for Your Medical Marijuana Card in NY 
Have you heard the exciting news? It has never been easier to apply for a medical marijuana card in New York! As of March 20, 2023, getting certified by a licensed medical marijuana doctor is all you need.
You read that right. It is a one-step process! The best part? You can buy MMJ from dispensaries in NY immediately after getting certified. Your cannabis certification is an automatic registration with the New York State Medical Cannabis Program (NYSMCP). So, say goodbye to application wait times. And bye-bye to the physical New York medical marijuana card. Your certification and government-issued ID are all you need to buy medical marijuana from any dispensary in NY.
When it comes to your health, trust is everything. At Quick Med Cards, all our physicians are New York-licensed. Moreover, they have completed a comprehensive course to certify patients for medical cannabis. So, our NY medical marijuana doctors have the necessary experience in cannabis therapy. Additionally, we offer our services at the lowest prices with the quickest turnaround times in New York. Trust us to get you the certification you need in minutes.
Read on to apply for your medical marijuana card in NY. And get the latest information about caregivers and the NY Medical Cannabis Program.
Your NY Medical Marijuana Card Application in 1, 2, 3!
Quick Med Cards makes it easy to apply for your medical marijuana card in NY. It doesn’t matter where in the State of New you are. An internet connection and a device that supports video calls are enough. Through our telemedicine consultations, you can get certified in minutes. And the process is simple:
1. Book an appointment with one of our NY medical marijuana doctors.
2. Attend your online consultation via video call.
3. If our doctor determines that medicinal cannabis could benefit your health, they will certify you.
How to Renew Your Medical Marijuana Card in NY
Medical marijuana certifications in New York State are valid for one year from the issuing date. So, renewing your med card is necessary to keep using medical cannabis in NY.
Fortunately, renewing your medical marijuana card in New York State is simple, especially with Quick Med Cards. And yes, you can proceed with your NYS medical marijuana card renewal even if you used another provider in the past.
Follow the steps to renew your NY medical marijuana card (certification):
- Schedule an online consultation with one of our NY cannabis doctors.
- Attend your renewal consultation online via video call.
- Our MMJ doctor will renew your certification once they approve that a cannabis regimen works for you.
- Receive your certification.
- Buy medical cannabis from any dispensary in NY.
Wondering If You Qualify for a Medical Marijuana Card in New York?
Confirm that you meet the qualifications for medical marijuana in New York.
You can find out more by clicking the link below.
How to Become a Caregiver in New York
Certified patients can designate up to five caregivers who can assist them with various aspects related to medical cannabis consumption.
The role of caregivers within the Medical Cannabis Program is a vital one. For instance, patients with mobility issues or those who may require help with their treatment protocol get the support they need.
Becoming a registered caregiver for a medical cannabis patient may seem daunting, but it only takes three simple steps.
- First, a certified patient must designate you as their caregiver. If your patient is a minor, their parent or legal guardian must choose you.
- Register online and receive your registry ID.
- Finally, visit any medical marijuana dispensary in New York and buy MMJ. Most importantly, take your registry ID, your patient’s certification, and your government-issued ID with you.
The New York caregiver registration process
Follow the registration instructions below to become a caregiver in NY:
- Create a personal my.ny.gov account or log in to yours if you already have one.
- Click on the Health Applications tile.
- Select the Medical Cannabis Data Management System (MCDMS) link.
- Click on the Start New Registration button
- Complete your registration by following the directions on the website.
Information About the New York State Medical Cannabis Program
New York legalized medical marijuana through the Compassionate Care Act in 2014. As a result, eligible residents could access medicinal cannabis to treat their illnesses. Despite legalization happening in 2014, it wasn’t until two years later, in 2016, that the New York State Medical Cannabis Program (NYSMCP) came to be.
When New York State first rolled out its Medical Cannabis Program, there was a mix of excitement and frustration. Patients suffering from certain qualifying conditions could finally access MMJ. However, New Yorkers ailing from conditions not included on the list missed out on the therapeutic benefits of marijuana.
To mitigate this issue, the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) continuously added more illnesses to the list of qualifying conditions. Eventually, New York State scrapped all qualifying conditions. Today, any medical condition is eligible for cannabis treatment as long as a licensed healthcare provider deems it appropriate. With this new system in place, more people than ever stand to benefit from medicinal cannabis. The change has been profound, and the impact is only getting bigger.
Perhaps, the most significant change to the New York Medical Cannabis Program happened on March 20, 2023. Thanks to the changes to Medical Cannabis Data Management System (MCDMS), patients are automatically registered with the program when they get certified by a cannabis doctor. As a result, patients no longer need to register for their med cards after their appointments. So, wait times are a distant memory. And New Yorkers can access medicinal cannabis immediately after their physician’s approval.
Recreational Marijuana in New York
New York legalized recreational marijuana for adults aged 21 and above on March 31, 2021. Despite the availability of adult-use cannabis, it is worth noting that medical marijuana still has its place in New York. And yes, the Marihuana Regulation & Taxation Act (MRTA), signed by Governor Andrew Cuomo, ushered in administrative changes to the existing medical marijuana program. For instance, the legislation creates a new Office of Cannabis Management (OCM) governed by a Cannabis Control Board to oversee and implement the NY marijuana laws.
The OCM issues licenses, creates regulations, and establishes guidelines for businesses interested in participating in New York’s cannabis industry. Moreover, the OCM is in charge of the existing Medical Cannabis Program, previously regulated by the Department of Health (DOH). The result? A smooth transition and a more efficient NY Medical Cannabis Program.
To paint a clearer picture, as of April 1, 2023, the New York Medical Cannabis Program has:
- 120,827 Registered Patients
- 4,033 Certifying Practitioners
Does Your NY Medical Card Expire Soon?
NY Medical Marijuana Card Rules
As a certified medical marijuana patient, you must follow the rules outlined in the NY marijuana laws. That way, you can avoid run-ins with law enforcement and ensure you do not risk losing your status as a certified medical marijuana patient.
Below are the most common NY medical marijuana rules:
- Certified patients can choose no more than five (5) individuals to serve as their caregivers.
- Caregivers can serve up to four (4) certified patients.
- Certified patients can possess at most a sixty (60) day supply of MMJ, as determined by their practitioner.
- Smoking and vaporizing medical cannabis products are no longer prohibited. However, it is illegal to smoke or vape in any location which restricts smoking under Article 13-E of Public Health Law.
- It is illegal to consume medicinal cannabis in any motor vehicle, either public or private, as defined in section 125 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law.
- Certified patients must dispose of medical cannabis products within ten (10) calendar days or sooner if they no longer wish to possess medical cannabis after their certification expires.
- Patients and caregivers must always have a valid certification and state-issued identification when possessing MMJ.
- Certified patients can grow up to three (3) mature and three (3) immature marijuana plants.
- Designated caregivers can grow up to six (6) plants per certified patient. Still, they cannot grow more than 12 plants at home.
Common Questions about Applying for a Medical Marijuana Card in NY
Do you still have unanswered questions about applying for a medical marijuana card in NY? You might find your answer below.
Does New York accept out-of-state medical cards?
No. New York does not accept out-of-state MMJ cards.
Only New Yorkers certified by a state-licensed physician can buy medical marijuana. So, visiting patients cannot use their med cards in marijuana dispensaries in NY.
Do medical marijuana dispensaries in NY do deliveries?
Yes, medical marijuana dispensaries in New York deliver cannabis to residences in the state.
Having marijuana delivered to one’s doorstep is convenient. But it comes with strict requirements. For instance, the delivery employee must verify your age and identity. So, you must provide proper identification. Also, cash payments are unacceptable for MMJ deliveries. As a result, you must pay for your medicine electronically.
Can I go to a dispensary without a card in NY?
Yes, you can go to a dispensary and buy recreational cannabis without a med card if you are a New Yorker aged 21 and over.
Just provide your government-issued ID to the dispensary staff to confirm your age. But you must have a valid certification to buy medical marijuana.
How fast can you get a medical card in NY?
The answer might surprise you. It could take as little as minutes, thanks to the recent updates to the Medical Cannabis Data Management System.
Now, patients certified after March 19, 2023, are automatically registered with the NY Medical Cannabis Program. So, you can buy from any dispensary in NY as soon as you get your certification. Say goodbye to the days of waiting seven business days for your NY medical card after submitting your application.
Who can prescribe medical marijuana in NY?
Healthcare providers must meet two requirements to certify patients for medical marijuana in New York. First, they must be licensed in New York to prescribe controlled substances. Secondly, they must complete a two-hour course on cannabis therapy.
All our cannabis doctors at Quick Med Cards are New York-licensed and compassionate. You can now easily schedule an online appointment and get certified in minutes.
What is the cost of medical marijuana in NY?
The cost of medical marijuana in NY varies based on several factors. These include the form of marijuana, the cannabis strain, the intended amount, and the dispensary you buy from.
Overall, medical marijuana is cheaper than recreational cannabis. The prices below highlight the average cost of MMJ across dispensaries in New York.
- Depending on the type of strain, an ounce of cannabis flower in NY ranges from $125 to $350.
- A single pre-roll can cost as low as $16, while a pack of ten could sell for $60.
- Disposable vape pens start at $40, and cannabis gummies begin at $15 per pack.
- Concentrates start at $40, while vape cartridges begin at $80.
- Tinctures start from $70, and topicals are in the $95 range.
Are edibles legal in New York State?
Cannabis edibles are legal in New York State. And dispensaries across the state now stock them in various forms, from tasty gummies to baked goods and infused drinks.
Whether you’re looking for a discreet way to consume cannabis or want to try something new, edibles are an option for those in New York. Find out what comes out on top; smoking vs edibles.
Can I buy edibles without a medical card in New York?
Yes. You can buy edibles from New York dispensaries without a medical card if you are at least 21 years old.
NY dispensaries stock a delicious range of cannabis edibles, for example, gummies and chocolates to baked goods and drinks. Also, remember the golden rule when consuming edibles; start slow and be patient.
Can you grow with a medical card in NY?
Yes. Since October 5th, 2022, individuals with NY medical cards can grow up to three (3) mature and three (3) immature plants.
And those with multiple certified patients in the same household can grow up to six (6) mature and six (6) immature plants. Caregivers can also get in on the action and grow up to six (6) plants per patient, but no more than 12 plants at a time.
How many plants can you grow without a medical card in NY?
It is still illegal for non-medical cannabis users in New York to grow plants at home. However, recreational cultivation in NY is imminent. Soon, New Yorkers over the age of 21 will be able to grow up to six (6) plants in their homes for personal use.
This allowance means three (3) mature cannabis plants, while the other three (3) must be immature. Furthermore, households will be allowed to have a maximum of twelve plants; six (6) mature and six (6) immature marijuana plants.
Where can I get an NYS medical marijuana card?
Ready to get your NYS medical marijuana card? Look no further than Quick Med Cards. Our process is not only affordable but also lightning-fast. With just one appointment and an online evaluation from a licensed medical marijuana doctor, you’ll be on your way to receiving the certification you need to buy medicinal marijuana in New York.
And with the option to attend your evaluation via video call, you don’t even need to leave your home. So, what are you waiting for? Let Quick Med Cards help you get the relief you need, all while staying safe and saving money.
How long are New York medical cards good for?
In New York, medical marijuana cards or certifications are only good for a year. So, renewing your certification is necessary once it expires.
However, there is no expiration date for terminally ill patients in New York. Did you use another provider? No worries! You can still use Quick Med Cards to renew your NYS medical marijuana certification.
Does New York have a medical marijuana program?
New York State has a well-established medical marijuana program that has been operational since 2016.
Despite the recent legalization of recreational marijuana in NY on March 31, 2021, the program is still highly functional. And there have been notable developments in the program. For instance, the elimination of qualifying conditions. And more recently, the immediate registration of patients into the program upon certification. These two developments have significantly improved access to medical-grade cannabis. So, New Yorkers with debilitating medical conditions can continue to rely on New York’s dependable medical marijuana program for the relief they need.
What are the requirements to get a medical marijuana card in New York State?
The requirements for a medical marijuana card in New York are straightforward.
- To start, applicants must be at least 18 years old. Still, those under 18 may qualify with parental authorization or guardianship.
- You must be a resident of NYS.
- Finally, you must receive certification from a cannabis doctor in NYS.
Find out more about how to qualify for medical marijuana in New York.
What are the benefits of having a medical marijuana card in NY?
There are many benefits to having a medical marijuana card (certification) in New York. For instance:
- Adults under 21 can legally buy and consume medical cannabis products with a valid certification.
- Medical marijuana is typically more affordable than recreational marijuana. MMJ is not subject to the extra three taxes imposed on recreational cannabis.
- Qualifying patients can possess up to a 60-day supply of cannabis, while the limit for adult users is just 3 ounces.
- Certified patients can grow their cannabis plants at home – a practice that remains prohibited for recreational users.
Can you get a medical marijuana card online in NY?
Yes. Getting your medical marijuana card in New York is an entirely online process. First, schedule an appointment with one of our licensed medical marijuana doctors in New York. Afterward, attend your marijuana evaluation via video call and get certified for medical marijuana.
With your cannabis certification, you can buy medicinal marijuana from any dispensing facility in New York. It is that easy. And it takes only minutes. So, get your NY medical marijuana card today!
Patient Resources and Forms
How to Contact the New York State Medical Cannabis Program
Get Your Medical Marijuana Card
Get certified now!