The WV Medical Cannabis Act grants patients in West Virginia diagnosed with serious medical conditions access to West Virginia medical marijuana if they have a doctor’s recommendation.
Here is the list of serious medical conditions for West Virginia medical marijuana:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Crohn’s disease (IBD)
- Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity
- Huntington’s disease
- Intractable seizures
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Positive status for HIV/AIDS
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Severe chronic or intractable pain of neuropathic origin or severe chronic or intractable pain
- Sickle cell anemia
- Terminal illness; defined as a medical prognosis of life expectancy of approximately one year or less if the illness runs its normal course
The West Virginia Medical Marijuana Program
Getting approved for West Virginia medical marijuana involves two separate processes.
First, acquiring a Patient Certification Form from an approved WV medical marijuana doctor.
Secondly, registering for a Patient Card from the Office of Medical Cannabis.
1. So, first and foremost, patients should book an appointment with a WV medical marijuana doctor. Thereafter, the patient will attend their online marijuana evaluation and if approved they will get their patient certification form.
2. After approval, the patient should register for the West Virginia Office of Medical Cannabis Portal. This will enable them to apply for the WV medical card.
3. Once the registration is complete and the account is verified, the patient should create an Application for a New Patient Registration.
4. The registration process requires that a patient uploads several crucial documents.
What documents should patients upload?
- A digital photo; which will be used as the picture on your patient card.
- A patient certification form from an approved WV medical marijuana doctor.
- Photo ID.
- Proof of WV residency. For example, voter registration or utility bill.
- Proof of income or eligibility for benefits at or below 200% of the federal poverty level. (If requesting a financial hardship waiver of the required fee)
5. Once the application is complete and submitted, patients must mail the $50 payment via check or money order to:
WV Office of Medical Cannabis
Address: 350 Capitol Street, Room 523, Charleston, WV 25301.
The Application ID number and patient name must be in the memo line of the check or money order.
6. Patients may need to wait 30 days from when their application and payment are received by the Office of Medical Cannabis to know the status of their application through email.
Learn more on how to get a medical card in West Virginia.
Not from West Virginia?
Check out the Other States we cover.
Medical card eligibility in WV
To qualify for West Virginia medical marijuana you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- One must be a resident of West Virginia.
- Patients must be at least 18 years old. But, qualifying patients under 18 years old may qualify if their parent or legal guardian registers on their behalf. Additionally, the parent or legal guardian must register as a caregiver.
- Patients must be suffering from at least one of the 15 qualifying medical conditions for West Virginia medical marijuana and have a Patient Certification to back it up.
How to get medical marijuana in WV
Medical marijuana is not currently available in West Virginia because medical marijuana organizations are not yet operational. But, it’s expected that West Virginia medical marijuana will be available no sooner than in the late summer of 2021.
That being said, WV medical marijuana patients can look forward to having medical marijuana in many different forms. For example:
- Cannabis pills.
- Cannabis oils.
- Topical forms such as gels, ointments, and creams.
- Forms medically appropriate for administration by nebulization and vaporization.
- Dry leaf (bud) or plant form.
- Dermal patches.
Contact the West Virginia Office of Medical Cannabis
Bureau for Public Health
350 Capitol Street
Charleston, WV 25301
Email: [email protected]