Residents of Pennsylvania can qualify for medical marijuana if they are diagnosed with a ‘serious medical condition’. These ‘serious medical conditions’ are also known as PA medical marijuana conditions.
Here are the PA medical marijuana conditions as defined by the state law:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Anxiety disorders
- Cancer, including remission therapy
- Damage to the nervous tissue of the central nervous system (brain-spinal cord) with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity, and other associated neuropathies
- Dyskinetic and spastic movement disorders
- HIV / AIDS
- Huntington’s disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- including Crohn’s disease
- Intractable seizures
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Opioid use disorder for which conventional therapeutic interventions are contraindicated or ineffective, or for which adjunctive therapy is indicated in combination with primary therapeutic interventions
- Parkinson’s disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Severe chronic or intractable pain of neuropathic origin or severe chronic or intractable pain
- Sickle cell anemia
- Terminal illness
- Tourette syndrome
PA Medical Marijuana Program
Participating in the PA medical marijuana program (PMMP) is an easy 4 step process:
- First, patients must register with the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Program Registry. This is important because your cannabis doctor needs your Patient ID number to submit your certification directly into the system. You can still book your appointment with QuickMedCards while you wait to get your Patient ID number.
- Next, patients should book an appointment with a participating PA marijuana doctor.
- Once patients attend their online marijuana evaluation and get certified they should complete their registration on the PMMP registry page and pay the $50 application fee.
- Finally, patients should submit their order for the PA medical marijuana card. Once your PA medical marijuana doctor certifies you in the PMMP system, you will receive an email outlining the steps to get your PA medical marijuana card. It takes about 3 weeks for the PA medical marijuana card to arrive in the mail after submitting your order.
Learn more on how to get a medical card in Pennsylvania.
Not from Pennsylvania?
Check out the Other States we cover.
Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Qualifications:
To qualify for the PA Medical Marijuana Program (PMMP):
- The patient must be a resident of Pennsylvania.
- Patients must be at least 18 years of age. And, if a patient is under 18, they must have an approved and registered caregiver apply on their behalf.
- Patients must be diagnosed with at least one of the PA medical marijuana conditions.
- Last but not least, patients must be certified by PA medical marijuana doctor participating in the program.
What documents do I need to submit?
Patients should have the following documents ready when applying for the PA medical marijuana card:
- Proof of Pennsylvania residency. For example, a PA driver’s license or PA state-issued ID card with their current address.
- A patient certification from a PA marijuana doctor who is approved by the Department of Health.
The cost of the PA medical card is usually $50 but patients in the following programs may qualify for a discounted PA medical card:
To clarify, patients must provide proof of participating in the above programs to qualify for the discounted PA medical card.
How can I get medical marijuana in PA?
With a PA medical marijuana card, patients can buy medical marijuana from any marijuana dispensary in Pennsylvania.
The law doesn’t specify buying or possession limits for patients. But, does state that approved patients can have a maximum of a 30 day supply, which is determined by the recommending doctor.
Contact the PA Medical Marijuana Program (PMMP)
Pennsylvania Department of Health
Health and Welfare Building
8th Floor West
625 Forster Street
Harrisburg, PA 17120
Phone: 888-733-5595 (Hours of operation: 7 AM – 9 PM ET, seven days a week, excluding state holidays.)