The Pine Tree State has one of the least restrictive medical marijuana programs in the country.
Any patient with a medical condition can apply to get a medical card in Maine, without being limited to a list of qualifying conditions. Patients still need a medical marijuana recommendation from a licensed Maine medical physician or nurse practitioner in good standing with the Maine Department of Health and Human Services.
To get a recommendation, you can talk to a specialized cannabis doctor about your health problems and how you think medical marijuana can help. The doctor will ask you questions to get an understanding of how severe your symptoms are, if the condition is chronic, and what other treatments you’ve tried. Medical marijuana is typically recommended when standard treatment methods have failed.
Maine Medical Marijuana Program
Due to the absence of qualifying conditions for a medical card in Maine, it is up to licensed cannabis doctors to use their discretion when issuing marijuana recommendations.
It’s also completely voluntary for patients to register for the Maine Medical Use of Marijuana Program. To get proof of your status as a medical marijuana patient, the recommending doctor will provide a standard printed certification for their patients.
Learn more about getting a medical marijuana card in Maine.
Not from Maine?
Check out the Other States we cover.
Maine Medical Marijuana Qualifications
Before booking your appointment with our licensed ME cannabis doctors, you should check that you meet the following Maine medical marijuana qualifications:
- You must be 18 years or older.
- Patients under eighteen must have a designated caregiver who must be their parent, legal guardian, or person having legal custody of the qualifying patient.
- You must be a resident of Maine with proof of residency, such as a valid Maine ID or driver’s license.
QuickMedCards has licensed marijuana doctors in good standing with the Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). All our doctors in Maine are able to recommend medical marijuana and issue medical cards to patients who qualify for medical cannabis. To speak to a doctor about medical marijuana you can book an online marijuana evaluation, attend the consultation via video call, and get certified for medical cannabis in ME.
What documents do I need to submit?
Before attending the appointment, patients should upload:
- Their photo ID. For example, their ME driver’s license or ID card.
- Copies of their medical records. If patients do not have their medical records on hand, they should request their medical records from their primary care physician or diagnosing doctor. This way, their cannabis doctor can make an informed decision when recommending medical cannabis.
How do I get medical marijuana in Maine?
Patients in Maine have the option of either buying medical cannabis from marijuana dispensaries in ME or cultivating cannabis.
Qualified patients can’t possess more than 8 pounds of harvested marijuana, and cultivating medical marijuana is limited to 6 mature plants or 12 immature plants. Moreover, cultivating medical marijuana could be left to designated caregivers in the event the patients are unable to do so.