In Virginia there is no specific list of qualifying conditions for medical marijuana cards.
To access medical marijuana in VA, patients need a written certification from a board-registered cannabis doctor in VA. This means that it’s up to the recommending doctor to determine whether cannabis use would help the patient’s disease or medical condition.
Patients in Virginia looking for a registered marijuana doctor willing to recommend medical cannabis to treat their condition should book an appointment with QuickMedCards.
VA Medical Marijuana Program
To access medical marijuana in VA, patients must register with the Board of Pharmacy.
However, before you can register as a patient, you must get a certification from a Board of Pharmacy-registered marijuana doctor.
- Simply book an appointment with a registered marijuana doctor in VA, attend your marijuana evaluation, and get certified.
- After getting certified, you should go to the Virginia Board Of Pharmacy Web Portal and create an account.
- Then you need to complete the registration process and pay the $50 application fee for patients or $25 for a parent/ legal guardian registering on behalf of a minor patient.
- Afterward, you should scan and send the required documents to the Board of Pharmacy via the email, [email protected] for the application to be considered complete.
What documents do I need to submit?
- A copy of a written certification issued by a registered medical marijuana doctor in VA.
- Proof of residency of the qualifying patient. For example, a VA ID card or tax receipt.
- Proof of residency of a parent or legal guardian, if the qualifying patient is a minor.
- Proof of identity of the qualifying patient. For instance, a government-issued identification card.
- Proof of identity of a parent or legal guardian, if the qualifying patient is a minor.
- Proof of the qualifying patient’s age in the form of a VA ID or a birth certificate if the patient is a minor.
Also note that a valid Virginia Driver’s License will fulfill the requirements for proof of age, residency, and identity.
Patients should wait for about 30 business days for their application to be processed. After approval, they will receive their Virginia medical marijuana card in the mail.
Learn more on how to get a medical card in Virginia.
Not from Virginia?
Check out the Other States we cover.
Virginia Medical Marijuana Qualifications:
- All patients must be residents of Virginia.
- Patients must be at least eighteen years old. If a qualifying patient is under eighteen, then their parent or legal guardian must apply on their behalf.
- All patients must have a written recommendation from a Board-registered medical marijuana doctor in VA.
How to get medical marijuana in VA
There are currently four approved marijuana dispensaries in Virginia where patients with a valid VA medical marijuana card can buy medical cannabis. They include:
- Dharma Pharmaceuticals in Abingdon.
- Green Leaf Medical of Virginia in Richmond.
- Columbia Care Eastern Virginia in Portsmouth.
- BEYOND / HELLO Manassas Cannabis Dispensary in Manassas.
Contact the Virginia Board of Pharmacy
Virginia Board of Pharmacy
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, VA 23233
Fax: (804) 527-4472
Email: [email protected]