How Can I Get Medical Marijuana in Virginia?
A Virginia medical marijuana card is no longer a requirement to access medicinal cannabis in the state. All you need is a valid written certification from a licensed MMJ doctor in Virginia and your government-issued ID to buy medical marijuana from dispensaries in VA.
There are no qualifying conditions for medical marijuana in Virginia. As a result, your certifying physician will determine whether cannabis could benefit your health.
While the Virginia medical card is not a requirement for medicinal cannabis in the state, it is an option. After certification, patients can opt to apply for the Virginia med card. Further along this page, we will discuss the requirements for the Virginia medical marijuana card.
Do you want to get your written certification soon? Then schedule an easy online appointment with one of our Virginia medical marijuana doctors near you.
Looking for a Qualified Medical Marijuana Doctor?
Is there a List of Qualifying Conditions for Medical Marijuana in Virginia?
No, there is no specific list of qualifying conditions for medical marijuana cards in Virginia.
Instead, it is up to your VA medical marijuana doctor to determine whether medicinal cannabis could help ease the symptoms of your illness. Often, the doctor will consider cannabis treatment if you’re suffering from either:
- A chronic condition whose prescription medication could cause physical or psychological dependence.
- Or a chronic medical condition that causes severe, debilitating psychiatric disorders.
The absence of a list of qualifying conditions for a medical card should make it easier for patients to access medical marijuana in Virginia. But, this may cause a problem for some who are unsure whether they can get medical marijuana for their specific condition. Some of the most common illnesses medical marijuana doctors certify patients for cannabis treatment include:
Does chronic pain make me eligible for medical marijuana in Virginia?
Yes. Chronic pain may qualify you for medical marijuana in Virginia. There are no qualifying conditions for medical marijuana in Virginia. Instead, your medical marijuana doctor will determine whether medical cannabis could help alleviate the symptoms of your illness.
Can you get a medical card for anxiety in Virginia?
Yes. You can get a medical card for anxiety in Virginia. But first, a medical marijuana doctor must determine if cannabis could ease your symptoms.
Virginia Medical Card Requirements – Am I Eligible?
To be eligible for medical marijuana in Virginia, you must fulfill the following medical card requirements:
- Adult patients must be at least 18 years old.
- Patients under 18 years old must have a designated and registered caregiver applying on their behalf.
- All applicants must be Virginia residents.
- Finally, patients must have a valid written certification from a Board-registered medical marijuana doctor in VA, indicating that the patient could benefit from cannabis treatment.
I Meet the Virginia Medical Card Requirements – What’s Next?
Once you’ve made sure you meet all the requirements and you’re eligible to apply for a medical marijuana card, here’s how to begin the application process itself:
- First, book an appointment with a registered marijuana doctor in VA, attend your marijuana evaluation, and get certified.
- Next, you must register as a qualified patient at the Virginia Board Of Pharmacy Web Portal.
- Then you need to complete the registration process and pay the $50 government fee for patients or $25 for a parent/ legal guardian registering on behalf of a minor patient.
- Afterward, you should scan and send the required documents to the Board of Pharmacy via email, email@example.com for the application to be considered complete.
You can learn more about the Virginia Board of Pharmacy and the Medical Cannabis Program here.
Which documents am I required to submit for my medical marijuana card application in Virginia?
To complete the Virginia medical marijuana card application online, you must scan and email the following documentation to the Board of Pharmacy:
1. Proof of identity. For example:
- Virginia Identification card
- U.S. passport
- Virginia driver’s license
2. Proof of residency. For instance:
- Virginia driver’s license
- Virginia identification card
- Tax receipt
3. Proof of age. For example:
- Birth certification
- VA identification card
- VA driver’s license
4. A copy of a written certification issued by a registered medical marijuana doctor in Virginia.
*It’s worth noting that, by submitting a Virginia driver’s license, applicants satisfy the requirements for proof of age, residency, and identity.
*Most importantly, send the required documents as pdf files or pictures. Do not send Google Drive or iCloud links.
*Patients should wait for about 60 business days for their applications to be processed. After approval, they will receive their Virginia medical marijuana card in the mail.
Speak with Our Medical Marijuana Doctor Today!
Get approved for MMJ in Virginia after a quick online consultation.