Updated on October 7, 2021. Medical content reviewed by Dr. Shatha Atiya.
All medical marijuana doctors in Delaware follow the state’s 2021 list of qualifying conditions when recommending treatment to patients.
Qualifying Conditions in 2021 for Medical Marijuana in Delaware
The 2021 Delaware medical marijuana list of qualifying conditions include:
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS/Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
- Autism with aggressive behavior
- Chronic Debilitating Migraine
- Decompensated Cirrhosis
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Terminal Illness
Also included are any chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition that leads to or whose treatment causes:
- Cachexia (wasting syndrome)
- Severe debilitating pain unresponsive to previously prescribed medication or surgical measure for more than three months, or for which other treatment options produced severe side effects.
- Intractable Nausea
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to those caused by Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Delaware Medical Marijuana Program
Once you have received your medical marijuana recommendation from our cannabis doctor, you need to fill out the application form for the Delaware Office of Medical Marijuana (OMM). You can book an online appointment to get your Delaware medical card here.
- Fill out the Delaware Medical Marijuana Online Application.
- Pay the OMM application fee of $50.
Alternatively, you can submit a paper application at the following address:
Delaware Division of Public Health – Medical Marijuana Program,
417 Federal St., Suite 140, Dover, DE 19901.
Once you have submitted your complete application, either online or through the mail, it will be processed within 45 calendar days of receipt. The OMM will verify the application with the physician who issued the medical marijuana recommendation.
* Incomplete applications will be sent back to the sender with instructions for resubmission.
The Delaware medical marijuana card usually arrives at the patients’ address between 15-30 days following the approval of their application. You can read more about the Delaware medical marijuana program and compassion centers here.
Delaware Medical Marijuana Card Requirements
- Adult patients who are eighteen (18) years or older.
- Minor patients (younger than eighteen (18) years) can use a Caregiver to apply on their behalf.
- Patients with a recommendation from a licensed marijuana physician supporting their diagnosis of a qualifying condition.
Additionally, patients must provide proof of residency in the state of Delaware, such as:
- A valid Delaware ID Card
- A valid Delaware Driver’s License
Out-of-state applicants can’t get a medical card in Delaware.
Not from Delaware?
Check out the Other States we cover.
Where to Get Medical Marijuana in Delaware (DE)
With your Delaware medical marijuana card, you can buy medical marijuana from one of the many authorized dispensaries in the state. This way you’ll be buying medical cannabis lawfully. As a result, you’ll have legal protection under the Delaware Medical Marijuana Act.
When purchasing medical marijuana at a dispensary make sure to:
- Bring your Medical Marijuana ID Card and a form of photo ID. For example, your Delaware ID or driver’s license.
* Minor Patients must be supervised by their designated caregiver or guardian when buying medical cannabis at a dispensary. Moreover, caregivers and guardians must provide proof of ID when accompanying the Minor Patient.
* To clarify, patients can’t fill a prescription for medical marijuana at a local pharmacy like other medications.