How to Get Certified for a Medical Marijuana Card in Minnesota
For some residents of Minnesota, enrolling for the state’s Medical Cannabis Program may seem like a tall order.
However, here at QuickMedCards we believe that those seeking relief should have access to Medical Marijuana in Minnesota as quickly and easily as possible. All you have to do is register with us and book an online consultation to speak with one of our medical marijuana-friendly doctors in Minnesota.
Despite the laws surrounding the program seeming among the most prohibitory in the country, we are dedicated to making this process as smooth and simple as possible. As a result, we have cut all the red tape and compiled every step necessary to successfully join the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program. Even so, knowing whether you qualify for the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program is a crucial first step.
Speak with our licensed doctor
Sign up to book your online consultation today. All of our Minnesota marijuana doctors are licensed to certify patients legally.
Once you get approved by our doctor, your Signed verification is available for instant PDF download.
Receive your Medical Marijuana Card
With your mmj certification, you’ll be ready to submit your application to the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program.
Benefits of QuickMedCards
What You Receive
1 Year MMJ Recommendation
24/7 Dispensary Verification
Instant PDF Download
Includes State Paperwork Fee
Our prices include the State Paperwork Fee that other providers usually charge for separately. Other fees that a patient must pay directly to the government must be paid by the patient.
Medical Cannabis Program
How to get your Medical Cannabis Card in Minnesota
Conveniently, the majority of the steps required for acquiring your Medical Marijuana Card in Minnesota can be done online.
You will need to see a certified Minnesota mmj physician to diagnose your specific qualifying condition and give their recommendtion. After all, it is their responsibility to provide you with medical reassurance and clarity regarding your condition.
Understandably, getting a physician can be hard. But there’s no need to fret! Our medical specialists are all licensed and certified by the Minnesota Board of Medical Practice. Most importantly, they are compassionate and look forward to assisting you. You can easily book an appointment with a MN marijuana doctor at QuickMedCards and get a recommendation.
Before you get started, there are a few requirements you need to meet before you can apply for a medical marijuana card in Minnesota. Take a quick look at the Medical Marijuana Patient Eligibility and Qualifying Conditions for a medical marijuana card and find out if you’re ready for treatment.
You will also need to provide your doctor with a filled-out Patient Email and Acknowledgment Form. Following this, they can register you in Minnesota’s online Medical Cannabis Patient Registry.
If you are suffering from one of the qualifying conditions, and you have not responded to traditional medical treatments, then you might qualify for Medical Marijuana Treatment in Minnesota.
Are you not sure about your medical condition? Uncertain if you qualify for treatment?
Our doctors can help you find out if medical marijuana is the best option for you and answer any questions you might have. Through their insight, you can relieve your fears and better your well-being.
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Cachexia (Severe Wasting)
- Cancer (accompanied with severe/chronic pain; nausea or severe vomiting)
- Chronic Pain
- Chronic motor or vocal tic disorder
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD, including Crohn’s Disease)
- Intractable Pain
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms including those specific to multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Tourette Syndrome
- Terminal illness (with a probable life expectancy of one year)
Eligibility and Requirements
What do I need to submit a medical marijuana application?
Besides having one of the above-mentioned medical conditions diagnosed by a certified Minnesota medical practitioner, there are other qualifying factors you need to satisfy before you are issued a medical cannabis card.
- To enroll in the program you must be eighteen (18) years or older at the time of your application. If you are younger than eighteen (18) years of age you must have designated and registered ‘Approved Caregiver’.
- You must be a resident in the state of Minnesota and provide proof of residency either in the form of a state-issued ID card or Driver’s License.
* If you do not have a valid state-issued ID card or Driver’s license, a U.S passport along with a document that serves as proof of address such as a bank statement or utility bill might be accepted.
- As mentioned earlier, you need to get an evaluation from a licensed Minnesota physician or nurse practitioner and be diagnosed with one or more of the qualifying medical conditions listed above.
- In addition, you must also create an account with Minnesota Medical Marijuana Program to access the online certification system. If you don’t have an existing account, you will need to create one.
- All patients need to pay a $100 application fee.
Not from Minnesota?
Check out the Other States we cover.
What documents do I need to submit?
When you fill out the Patient Application, you will be aksed to submit the following documents:
- A clear, colored, full-face photograph submitted in digital format.
- Your Physician Recommendation (dated within 30 days of application submission)
- Proof of residency in Minnesota (digital, color copy of one of the following):
- State-approved Minnesota driver’s license
- Minnesota identification card
- Minnesota-voter identification card
- A utility bill for the calendar month preceding the date of application, excluding data carrier/mobile network and internet/broadband bills
- A residential property deed to a property in the State of Minnesota
- A valid rental agreement for a residential property located in the State of Minnesota
- Proof of identity (digital, color copy of one of the following):
- MN driver’s license
- MN identification card
- U.S. passport or other forms of photo identification issued by the U.S. government.
How to get Medical Marijuana in Minnesota
1. Consult with a MN marijuana doctor at QuickMedCards
2. Receive your Certification via Email
After your online medical marijuana evaluation and certification by our qualified medical marijuana doctor, you will receive an email from the Office of Medical Cannabis.
* This is an important email so make sure you check your spam and junk folders if it takes a while to arrive in your inbox.
This email contains a link you need to register online for the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program. In addition, an important information sheet you should review before completing your registration.
* The certification lasts 90 days so it is important to complete this process before that time runs out.
In case you might have further questions about the mmj med card process while you are waiting for your email, you can always contact us with any questions you might have. Remember, we are always here to help!
3. Register online
Remember the following requirements during the online registration process:
- A link in the email from the Office of Medical Cannabis.
- Name, address, and phone number.
- Government-issued ID: A Minnesota ID or Driver’s License.
- You will be asked to pay for the annual registration fee ($200 or $50 for the discounted fee) with a Credit Card.
* You can qualify for the $50 reduced fee by showing proof of receiving supplemental security income; Social Security incapacity (transitioned to retirement advantages); Medical assistance; MinnesotaCare; IHS; Railroad Disability; VA dependency and Indemnity compensation and Veterans incapacity benefits.
After that, you will receive an email confirming that your account is approved. (Please take note that enrollments are processed in the order they are received so this step may take up to 30 days.)
Finally, you must complete the patient self-evaluation report accessible in your account in the Registry.
4. Visit the Cannabis Patient Center (CPC)
Once you receive your approval email you should head to a Cannabis Patient Center. When doing so, make sure you bring your appointment summary and a list of medications you currently use.
The pharmacist will then review your account and recommend a specific dose and type of medical marijuana. (Equally important, patients enrolled in the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program do not have the freedom to choose their own products.)
Most importantly, Medical Cannabis in Minnesota is only acceptable in the following forms:
- cannabis tablets/capsules/pills
- bulk oil for vaping
- oral spray
- oral suspension
Any other forms of medical canabis are considered illegal in the state according to Minnesota Marijuana Laws.
5. Fill out the patient evaluation form
After exhausting your medical cannabis supply, you are required to fill out the patient self-evaluation form before visiting the Cannabis Patient Center to replenish your supply of medical marijuana. This form is found on a separate tab in your registry account.
How to renew your Medical Marijuana card
Please note – Your medical MMJ recommendation is only valid for 1 year. After that time, you will need to be re-evaluated by one of our licensed medical MMJ doctors. However, you don’t have to worry your license expiring. When it’s time to renew your license, You’ll receive an email from the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program two months before your patient certification and ID card expires.
Important – If you are a caregiver, your Registry ID is only valid for the same period as your patient’s medical MMJ card. When your patient’s card expires, they will need to get a new certification from their doctor. After your patient has successfully renewed their med card, you will need to renew your registry card as well. You need to make sure that you have a valid Registry ID card when buying from a dispensary.
How to Renew:
1. Log in to your Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program patient account as a returning user
Please note – All information must match your Minnesota driver’s license or state-issued ID. If you have a change of address card, use that address.
To save any changes you can click ‘Renew my registration.’
2. Receive Verification Email
After you renew your registration online, you’ll get a verification email explaning the next steps.
3. Visit a Medical Marijuana Doctor
If you are a returning QuickMedCards patient, you can book a follow-up appointment to renew your certification.
If this is your first time using QuickMedCards, you need to complete our Patient Questionnare form first.
4. Receive Your Medical Marijuana ID in the Mail
Once you’re certified by our doctor, your new card will be mailed to you at the address you listed in the patient portal. The new card will have an issue date for the day after your original card expires.
We will donate to charity for every appointment booking.
We take suggestions from customers like you.
Favorites have been:
AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY
Help stop cancer from being a common health problem across the world.
WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT
Help injured veterans live a better life after they’ve served our country.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use my Medical Cannabis Card in another state?
No. Just like you cannot use your out-of-state Medical Card to purchase Medical Cannabis in Minnesota. Therefore, the Medical Cannabis Card in Minnesota can only be used in the state.
How to get a Medical Cannabis Card in Minnesota without a condition?
This is not possible. In order to be eligible for Minnesota’s Cannabis Program you must have been diagnosed with one of the qualifying medical conditions mentioned above.
Is Weed Legal in Minnesota?
No. It is important to note that recreational Marijuana use is illegal in Minnesota. However, the state of Minnesota legalized the use of Medical Cannabis on 29th May 2014. Because of this, patients enrolled in the Medical Cannabis Program are not allowed to possess or use marijuana in plant form. To sum up, medical marijuana is only legal in pill and liquid form to patients in the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program.
Can you get a Medical Marijuana Card if you are under eighteen years old?
Yes. The Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program allows parents and legal guardians to act on behalf of minors that qualify for the program. Consequently, legal parents or guardians are required to provide legal guardian documentation. For example, a birth or adoption certificate. It is also important to inform the marijuana doctor that they are the parent or legal guardian.
Minnesota Marijuana Dispensaries. Where do I buy my Medical Cannabis?
You can get Medical cannabis in only two (2) state-licensed dispensaries. These are Leafline Labs and Minnesota Medical Solutions/Green Labs. Make sure to carry your prescription from the Cannabis Patient Center.
What is the cost of a Medical Cannabis Card in Minnesota?
In addition to the cost of the doctor’s appointment, all patients are required to pay a Medical Cannabis Annual Registration Fee for $200 or $50 if you qualify for the discounted fee.
Places to visit in Minnesota after your Medical Cannabis treatment
Head to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
This is a place of peace and quiet, reflection, personal challenge, and shifting your perspective. Additionally, Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness overflows with blue lakes, rocky shores, and manifold wildlife. Further, there are a host of activities. Such as camping, fishing, and canoeing. Above all, camping under the beautiful night sky with millions of stars will definitely be a highlight.
Visit the Mall of America.
Mall of America is the largest mall in the country. But, this should not scare you. It is a great place to go shopping and walk with your friends and family. Also, there are countless attractions and so much to do that you could spend an entire day here and have so much fun. Consider heading to the Mall of America after taking your medicine and have a great time.
Go to the Voyageurs National Park.
Voyageurs National Park is a beautiful place surrounded by water. Additionally, the park boasts an immaculate underdeveloped shoreline with many small uninhabited Islands. Furthermore, the park is a natural habitat for a lot of local wildlife. For example, Eastern timber wolves, bald eagles, otters, and moose. So, it is a great place to unwind and do soul searching. Expect a great sunny beach, an unbelievable view of the stars at night, and phenomenal sunsets. Besides all this beauty you can get involved in a myriad of fun activities. For instance, canoeing, hiking the famed trails, fishing, and renting a houseboat.
Pay a visit to Itasca State Park.
Few experiences can be as memorable as walking across the headwaters of the biggest river on the continent. At Itaska State Park, witnessing the starting point of the great Mississippi River is a sight to behold. Additionally, the park is home to a mesmerizing loop of the old pine tree forest. It is a great place to spend time with friends and family. Expect a host of outdoor activities. Such as camping, paved bike trails, hiking, and boating. Also, get familiar with lots of historical insights. It’s definitely worth the visit